The Texas coast town of Indianola was once a major port and the county seat of Lavaca County. Incorporated in 1853, it was a port of entry for many German immigrants and at its height had a population of 5,000. In 1875 a hurricane destroyed the town and killed several hundred people; those remaining rebuilt. Just over ten years later in 1886 another destructive storm struck the recovering town. This time the residents did not rebuild but scattered as the county seat was moved to nearby Port Lavaca.
Today if you visit the area you will not find much of this ghost town left other than a stone marker for the courthouse and a Texas Historical Marker for the town of Indianola. And there is a rather strange rustic metal sculpture of a man leading a camel.
A few feet in front is a state marker with this title and explanation:
THE GREAT CAMEL EXPERIMENT
“No immigrants arriving in Indianola were quite as exotic as the seventy-five camels that came ashore in 1856 and 1857 from Algeria, Tunisia, Egypt and Turkey. As early as 1836, politicians, diplomats and the military were considering the importation of camels for use in North America’s desert wastelands. In 1853, secretary of war Jefferson Davis, a man familiar with harsh desert conditions, proposed to congress the use of camels as pack animals in the desert southwest. Congress approved the request on March 3, 1855. After a three-month voyage from the Mediterranean, the Fashion entered Matagorda Bay on May 13, 1856 and landed the camels at the wharf at powder horn. Thirty-four camels, ranging from Bactrians (two-humped variety), Arabians (one-hump variety) and a hybrid-cross between the two, came ashore. Many residents of Indianola recalled the unusual sight of the camels being led through the streets. By February 1857, a second government shipment of forty-one camels arrived in Indianola. Military camel caravans carrying supplies became more common in the Texas Hill Country between the camels’ home of Camp Verde and San Antonio. The camels, along with traditional livestock, were used in the summer of 1857 to survey the great wagon road between Arizona and California, now known as Route 66. The camels were also used in 1859 and 1860 for reconnaissance in west Texas, surveying routes to the U.S./Mexico border. In 1861, upon the outbreak of the Civil War, all U.S. military assets, including the camels, came into possession of confederate troops and, after the war, the camels were auctioned off. (2013) Marker is Property of the State of Texas”
There is not much left of the old Camp Verde facility, located between the towns of Kerrville and Bandara in the Texas Hill Country, except for a stone marker. About a mile away is the site of a store on Verde Creek established in 1857, mainly to supply the fort.
The original store was was washed away by the creek. Today it is the site of Camp Verde General Store and Restaurant, a rustic Hill Country attraction. Outside is a rather abstract metal camel sculpture as a nod to its past. Husband and I would like to visit both sites in the fall.